Clay's twenty-seven year career in law, public policy, and government service provides him with unique perspectives and approaches as a counselor and problem-solver for his clients. In his legal career, Clay's experiences have varied from assisting a non-profit secure public funds to serve the needy, to being a part of a legal team engaged in complex commercial litigation.
While litigation is sometimes necessary, Clay recognizes that courts are often the least suitable tool available to a legal counselor when assisting a client, and Clay is adept at helping clients find creative solutions to issues when all parties involved are equally committed to a resolution. His work experiences at all levels of government- local, state, and federal- and in all three branches of government- as a senior congressional staffer, as a senior policy aid to a member of the Florida Cabinet, and as an officer of the court in the judicial system- have left him with a wide range of resources to draw upon as he helps his clients.
Clay believes a critical element of his legal practice should focus on de-escalating the inherent stress faced by his clients when they need an attorney to help solve the problems that arise in life, a philosophy he applies in all areas of his practice.
Clay is a sixth generation Alachua County native. As a product of Alachua County's public schools, Santa Fe College, and Florida's flagship university, the University of Florida, he credits his education to the wealth of educators and other caring adults in his community who were willing to invest in his future. He currently lives in Newberry, Florida where he enjoys spending time with his wife and two daughters.
- Florida State University College of Law, Tallahassee, Florida
- J.D. - 1997
- Santa Fe College
- A.A. - 1992
- University of Florida
- B.S., Bachelor of Science - 1994
- Greater Gainesville Chamber of Commerce (Board of Directors, 2006-2010, 2018-Present)
- Gainesville – Alachua County Association of Realtors (2017-Present)
- Downtown Rotary Club of Gainesville
- Eighth Judicial Circuit Bar Association
- CareerSource North Central Florida (Board of Directors, 2006-2010; Vice-Chairman, 2009; Chairman, 2010)
- Alachua County Economic Development Advisory Committee (2005-2007)
- Alachua County Charter Review Commission (1999-2000)
- Leadership Gainesville XXIV
- Florida Blue Key Honor Fraternity
- City of Newberry, Florida (City Commissioner, 1992-1995)
Current Employment Position
- Of Counsel
- Business and Corporate Law
- Contract Law
- Government and Administrative Law
- Real Property and Land Use Law
- Probate Law
- Real Estate Closings, Escrow, and Title Insurance
- Governmental Relations
- Florida, 1997
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida, 2002